Sushma Swaraj was born on 14 February 1952 Ambala Cantonment, Punjab. She taken her last breathe in New Delhi on 6 August 2019. Sushma Swaraj has been elected Member of Parliament 7 times and Member of Legislative Assembly for 3 times. She has served as the External affairs Minister in the first term of the Narendra Modi led Government. The 67-year-old leader, who had served her fourth term in Lok Sabha had long been her party’s most prominent woman face. She was the youngest cabinet minister at 25 when she joined the Haryana government in 1977 and the first woman Chief Minister of Delhi.
Personal details of Sushma Swaraj
Date and place of Birth: 14 February 1952 Ambala Cantonment, Punjab, India
Died: 6 August 2019 (aged 67) New Delhi, Delhi, India
Spouse(s): Swaraj Kaushal (A criminal lawyer in Supreme Court)
Children: 1 Daughter (Bansuri Swaraj)
Education: BA & LLB (Punjab University, Chandigarh)
Sushma Swaraj is married to Mr. Swaraj Kaushal. Her husband is senior advocate of the Supreme Court of India & a criminal lawyer. He served as the Governor of Mizoram from the year 1990 to year 1993. He was the Member of Parliament from 1998-2004. Sushma Swaraj and Swaraj Kaushal have a daughter. Their daughter is a graduate from Oxford University & Barrister at law.
- 1977: Sushma Swaraj becameIndia’s youngest Cabinet Minister at the age of 25
- 1979: Sushma Swaraj became the Janata Party’s State President in Haryana at the age of 27.
- Sushma Swaraj holds the record of becoming the 1st woman spokesperson of the national – level political party
- Sushma Swaraj holds the credit of becoming the 1st woman Chief Minister of Delhi
- Sushma Swaraj is the 1st woman Union Cabinet Minister
- Sushma Swaraj is the 1st woman Leader of Opposition
- Sushma Swaraj was awarded theBest Speaker by Haryana State Assembly
- Sushma Swaraj was awarded the Best Parliamentarian award two times in 2008 & 2010
Political Career of Sushma Swaraj
- Sushma Swaraj is an Advocate by profession. Swaraj started practice as an advocate in the Supreme Court of India in 1973. Sushma started her career as the student leader in early 1970s.
- She was appointed as the member of Haryana Legislative Assembly from year 1977 – 82 & 1987 – 90.
- She was the Cabinet Minister in the Department of Labour and Employment Haryana from 1977 – 79, & Cabinet Minister in Department of Education, Food & Civil Supplies at Haryana from 1987 – 90.
- She was refereed as the best Speaker of Haryana successively for 3 years.
- Sushma Swaraj was elected as a member of the Rajya Sabha for the first time in 1990 and remained there until she was elected to the 11th Lok Sabha from South Delhi constituency in 1996. In total she was elected Member of Parliament for the 7 time.
- Sushma was the Union Cabinet Minister of Information & Broadcasting in the year 1996. She was re – elected to twelfth Lok Sabha for a second term in the year 1998. She had supplementary charge of Ministry of Telecommunications from March 19 to October 2, 1998.
- Sushma Swaraj was the Minister of External Affairs from 26 May 2014 – 30 May 2019.
- She was also the 1st woman Chief Minister of Delhi from October 13 to December 3, 1998.
Awards Won by Sushma Swaraj
- She was given the Best Speaker award by the Haryana State Assembly.
- Sushma Swaraj received the Best parliamentarian award twice in the years 2008 and 2010. She is the first-ever and the only woman MP to receive the Outstanding Parliamentarian award.